Tuesday, January 8, 2013

I hate zippers...

Let me say it again: I really hate zippers.  So I don't know what possessed me to make a zippered case for my Chromebook, except for the fact that it looked really good in this tutorial I found online.

Let me rewind a little bit, because this post was originally supposed to be about my lovely lazy Sunday a few days ago.  I played on my new toy a bit to see how it works, I watched videos online, and generally wasted an entire day doing nothing. It was great.  Except for not my husband, who was sick, and was the reason why I was doing nothing, because if he was in bed all day I certainly wasn't going to motivate myself to do the household stuff that needed to be done when there were fun things to explore on the interwebs - like this really yummy chicken soup I made from scratch that day.

In my aimless lazy Sunday searching, I decided that I needed a cover for my Chromebook.  And I would make it - why not?  I had a Sunday to burn, didn't I?  So I found a good-looking tutorial, went through my fabric and zipper stash, and started on my path to destruction my nifty new zippered cover.

There's a reason I don't make anything with zippers in my Etsy shop.  It's because every zipper I try to sew looks like a 6 year old did it.  It always amazes and disgusts me that I can sew complicated works of art like 17th century court wear or boned corset bodices with hand-set grommets, but I can't even sew a damn zipper in to save my life.  So my simple zippered case (the zipper goes around a corner - A CORNER!!!  Oh, the humanity...) took much longer than I expected.  But here it is, and it looks awesome.  Just don't look closely at the zipper...

I picked up this fabric last summer on sale thinking I would make myself a new purse, but I think it makes a great case.  The dark swirls are actually chocolate colored velvet - mmm.  And I love how the hellspawn teal zipper adds a pop of color to match the print.  I added a simple pocket on the outside because hey, you can always use an extra pocket.

If - and that's a BIG if - I ever make another one* I will skip the curved zipper and just do a plain straight one.  My straight zippers at least are at a 10 year old's level.





* Do not ask me to make one for you, or why I don't sell them on Etsy.  Seriously, did you just read this post?

2 comments:

  1. Can you make me something with a zipper ;) Heheh sorry couldn't help myself! I think it looks great! Anything I sewed would look like a ten year old at best did it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of love that the zipper is your bane ;) I don't think I am ready for much sewing yet beyond "stuff animal of my own invention". That way, however weird it turns out, it's all, "Oh, it's supposed to be this way. It's a flagurgle fairy, you know."

    ReplyDelete