Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Pin-spired!


Like many people (okay, lets be honest - most women) , I am addicted to Pinterest.     Not in a crazy "plan my wedding even though I don't have a boyfriend" kind of way, but I love the whole idea of a virtual bulletin board.  Designers have been using this kind of thing for years, but back in the day we used magazines, people.  You know, those things printed on paper?  Remember paper???

Anyway, I love it.  Not only does it feed my need for crafts, DIY home improvements, and really awesome and/or easy recipes, but I've also found it extremely helpful for designing shows.  And every once in awhile, I find something that just blows my mind...

www.outfitposts.blogspot.com
Like this little gem from MK at outfitposts.blogspot.com.  Using just 14 basic pieces, plus a few accessories, she put together 30 outfits!  I have to dress business casual 2 days a week, this is perfect for me.  I love almost all the different looks, and it feels really wearable, not too done up or over the top.  

So of course, this means I need more clothes ;).  But I'm going to make this a challengeand exercise in thriftiness, and here are my self-imposed rules:

  • I must try to use as many existing pieces from my wardrobe as possible.
  • Anything that I don't already have must be built, not bought.  And I need to use fabrics and patterns from my stash.
  • The few things that can't be made, like cardigan sweaters or accessories, must be thrifted. 

I think this is going to be really fun!  Last summer I wanted to sew one new item for myself each week, but work got in the way.  This time I think I'll just take it easy and do as much as I can, when I can.  Right now I am in the middle of 2 shows, starting a huge musical for March, and I'm also working on 3 wedding dresses between now and June, not to mention all the work for new items, craft shows, and custom orders that is involved in my Etsy shop.  

So I'll be busy for awhile, but I can always sneak a few things in where possible.  And since this doesn't look too appropriate for the 30 degree weather we're having right now, I can shoot to have it all done by this summer.  I will of course let you know how it goes, and post any pieces I make.  Maybe when I have the whole wardrobe put together I will model my version of each outfit!  (Okay, that probably won't happen because I hate having my photo taken.  Sorry.)

If you want to play along, I'd love to see what you come up with for your own wardrobe!

No comments:

Post a Comment